This delicious chowder is quick and easy to make. The timing for the ingredients couldn't be easier. Simply chop the veggies one at a time and add them to the pot in the order listed. The onions cook while you chop the mushrooms which cook with the onions while you chop the celery, etc.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- one medium onion
- 12 mushrooms
- 2 ribs of celery
- 12 baby carrots or one large carrot
- one sweet potato, peeled
- 2 white potatoes(no need to peel if the skin is thin)
- 1/4 pound of ham or turkey ham
- 12-14 fresh asparagus spears, tough end removed
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Stir in 2 1/2 tablespoons of flour . Cook and stir one minute.
- Whisk in 1 1/2 cups of milk- skim, whole 2%- whatever you have on hand
- Bring to a bubble stirring and cook until thickened stirring constantly.
- Stir in 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Stir over heat until cheese is melted.
- Slowly stir the cheese sauce into the rest of the soup and serve.