Skip to main content

Shabby Chic Dog Bed


I went looking for a new bed for Heidi Bear yesterday and couldn't find one I liked. Apparently, if your dog is large you must want plaid, or so the available selection suggested. So, I decided to make one in a fabric to suit our space. Basic sewing skills are all that's needed for this project.

Start with one twin sized egg crate mattress pad. Cut it in half across the short side to make two pieces that are roughly square. Whip stitch the two pieces together with the smooth sides together. This will keep the pieces from shifting around in the cover.

Cut a piece of fabric 38" wide and 74" long. Use a sturdy, washable fabric for best wear. You can use old curtains from the thrift store, denim or what ever suits you best. I used an old slip cover from a sofa we no longer have. I love re purposing from an environmental as well as budgetary standpoint!

Add a 5/8" hem to each of the short sides of the fabric.


Cut 3 six inch pieces of Velcro and pin evenly spaced across the hem on the back side of the fabric. Place it slightly inside the edge and stitch in place.


With right sides together, pin the long ends together and stitch. I serged the edges for extra durability, but it's not necessary if you don't have a serger.

Turn the cover right side out and press. Insert the egg crate foam and press the Velcro together to close.

Voila! One extra large, shabby chic dog bed for less than $20!

Comments

  1. Unbelievable, I just told my husband I was going to make a dog bed. Then I find this post. :)

    I wouldn't have thought to use egg crate mattress. I was going to buy foam. Thanks for the tut and awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! The egg crate idea didn't come to me until I cut through the bedding department on the way to the rugs. Have fun! Heidi Bear has been enjoying hers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! The best being that it's ALL easily washable. I hate those kind that have cedar chips, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Whyte! I love my dog but her bed does get pretty smelly unless it can be washed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always to clean my dog bad but some time my doggy has to do very dirty so I can not wash properly but your given washing information is really cool. i will diffidently try it.
    Dog Beds

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Properties of Obsidian   ~ balances energy fields ~ a shield against negativity ~ eliminates energy blocks and relieves tension ~ decreases physical and emotional pain ~ urges us to grow and achieve our goals CHAKRAS - Crown and Root ZODIAC SIGNS - Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius Physically Obsidian is said to aid digestion detoxify, reduce arthritis pain, joint problems and cramps. It also has a reputation for warming the extremities.   I have formulated an essential oil with the same properties as obsidian. You can find it here - Obsidian Essential Oil Blend I f you prefer shopping on Etsy you can find it here

How to Make Spice Filled Mug Mats

Spice filled mug mats and trivets make a thoughtful, fragrant gift. While they are not hard to make it does take a little time if you age your mix properly. The secret to long lasting fragrance in any potpourri type mix is sufficient aging. You can vary the spices and oils in this recipe to suit your own nose. Mug Mat Mix 1 cup of allspice 1 cup of cinnamon chips 1/2 cup of cloves 1 cup of dried orange peel 1/4 cup of star anise 1/4 cup of dried rosemary 1 cup of oak moss or cellulose fiber chips 1/2 teaspoon of orange essential oil 1/4 teaspoon each of clove and cinnamon essential oils Mix the first 6 ingredients and put into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Make sure it is large enough to allow for future mixing by shaking. Place your oak moss or cellulose fixative in a small jar with a lid and add your oils. Shake well and let sit for several days until the oils are fully absorbed. Add to your spice mix, put the cover back on and shake gently to mix. Let age for at least 4 weeks, s
Gemstone Properties - Amethyst   ~ increases serenity and calmness ~ increases mental acuity and decision making ability ~ curbs appetites ~ increases psychic ability and intuition CHAKRAS - Crown and Brow ZODIAC SIGNS - Aries, Sagittarius, Aquarius Physically amethyst is said to strengthen the immune system, reduce pain and strengthen the body during serious illnesses.It also has a reputation of being helpful in relieving headaches. I have formulated an essential oil blend to have the same properties as an amethyst! You can find it here -  Amethyst Gemstone  Essential Oil